1. What skills have you developed thought this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
Throughout the year I have worked on many briefs which have all encounted different skill sets. The main areas that I have developed throughout the year are my craft and print skills. These have been the ones which I have worked on the most within all my briefs. Developing these skills have influenced my practice and made me think more about using them after the course has finished. Looking into screen - print studios is something that is a definite.
Aside to print and craft skills, my digitals skills have also been improved, working throughout the year on my illustration skills has brought this area of design on par with the rest of my practice.
Within all my briefs the skill set has been applied in different ways, this has been due to different formats, paper sizes, and media types. I have mainly worked within the print medium all year round, but trying out different techniques and methods within these areas has created an effective practice of applying design.
2. What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
Printing methods have become the main part of my practice, throughout the briefs I have undertaken I have tried to vary the methods I have used to create a range within my practice. I have worked on a lot of print work, which has used screen-printing heavily. This use of print within my practice has informed me about a subject area that I really enjoy and it has changed my opinion on what could be a career route once leaving uni.
Other methods such as book binding and printing techniques have been used throughout the projects, theses have all been built upon from what I have previously learnt and informed my practice in a positive way.
3. What strengths can you identify within your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
The strengths this year within my work are publishing and editorial and print. I feel that these two have been the main focus of all my briefs and the main things that I have produced within each of the briefs. I have worked on the skill level of both of these areas to produce a high standard of work and towards the end of the year I think this is clearly evident within what I have produced and shown. There have been other areas such as packaging and branding which I have worked on, I think these are still strengths of mine, but the other two are the most dominant and the ones in which you see mostly within my work.
I have also built upon concept and idea generation this year, I think the concept of each of my briefs are strong and show a good understanding of the subject area and the brief I am working on. This in turn has developed the idea generation and made this process a lot better than it previously has been.
4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I think my weakness with year has been knowing when to stop working on a brief. There has been quite a few briefs which have gone on for a lot longer than they needed to and no more work was produced to show for this. Whereas some of the shorter briefs I created a much larger product range and the brief as whole was much more considered.
The second thing I could of worked on more was probably my drawing skills and design sheets. I found myself working in notebooks and bits of paper, to drawn down ideas when they came into my head. Now there is nothing wrong with this as the idea is still there and can be developed, but by having the design sheets it makes it easier to see the route of the design and what I can work on to develop it further into a better product / design.
5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
- I would of liked to have a clear knowledge of what I wanted to work on from the beginning of the year, but in not knowing the year has panned out as a good experience and ended with me knowing what to do.
- Focus more on print. Even though print didnt really come into my practice until the end of the dissertation and dialigue exhibition. I felt that I could have incorporated it more into my future brief within the year and spend more time in the print room.
- Collaborate more. From the collaborations that I have done this year, I have felt they have gone really well and the work produced is probably some of the best within the year. Knowing this I wish I had of collaborated more and worked with other people to get a better understanding of how people work and how to work with them effectively.
- Commercial work. I feel that alot of my briefs this year are very much design led. I think I would gone back and chosen some other briefs that had more of a commercial element to show that they could work / be produced as a real physical thing.
Attendance - 5
Punctuality - 5
Motivation - 5
Commitment - 5
Quantity of work produced - 5
Quality of work produced - 5
Contribution of the group - 5