Wednesday 23 April 2014

Brief 16 // Typocircle // Type & Logo

Before starting on any of the products for the brief, I wanted to get the branding sorted for both the publication and the promotional material. In this case the branding had to be something which could work across print and digital products - even the the focus is on the print, the web element is still important.

The branding also had to be applicable to printing processing as I am intending to use screen printing and emboss / deboss through some of the products, so the branding needs to work for these elements.

The branding for the project only has to be the basic things - I am looking at creating a logo, type set logo and setting the typography and colour for the full project. There is no need for branded stationery, but I may mock up some quick examples to show how the identity would across some of the products.

The Typographic Circle
The typographic circle is a existing company and one that runs talks etc, it is open to anyone that is enthusiastic towards type and type led design. They already have an existing logo - this isn't something that you have to use within the work, but is seems relevant to - I think I will adjust it to fit within the branding I am going to create, so it makes a full consistent body of work.

Typography
Within the project and the products, there is going to be quite a focus on the information and body copy, especially within the designer publications. To get this right and make it fit within the bespoke, high end publications I want to use a elegant type for the headings and use a complimentary sans serif font to work alongside it for the body copy.

Through looking through various website, I have found the typefaces that I want to use.


I find myself using the combination of a serif and sans serif together more and more recently. I think that a serif font shows sophistication and has a more bespoke aesthetic and style to it. By combining it to a sans serif, they contrast each other and show a divide within the headings and body copy. I have chose these two typefaces to work together because even though they are different type styles I think they have similar characteristics between them. With both typefaces the letterforms are tall and thin, with letterforms that have counters within them, they take up the majority of the letterform. I think that the two weights of DIN both sit well next to the serif font and this will allow me to differentiate between smaller headings and body copy. 


This is some examples of how the type works with some of the studios / designers. 

Logo

Primary Logo

The original version of the typographic circle logo is as follows:


I dont mind this design and think that it will fit well within the branding / products that I will be creating. I think changing the typeface within the circle needs to be done so that it fits in with the typefaces chosen above. This will tie everything together and make it a consistent identity throughout the project, but still retain the identity of the typographic circle at the same time.

By simply changing the typeface used, I have made this the primary logo and now fitting with identity I want to create for the project. 


Type set Logo
Along with this logo I want to create a type set logo - one that is just pure type, this will be used through some of the promotional material, mainly on the invites and tickets. Sticking with the bespoke aesthetic I wanted to create a stacked logo and somehow link the together. 


After altering the spacing and leading of each letterform and each line of type, I was able to create the type set logo. Here you can see that the descender on the 'y' creates the dot of the 'i' this was able to be done because of the aesthetic of the typeface and having the round tails on the some of the letterforms. Also by decreasing the leading it has squeezed the type together to create more of a logo feel and it shows that it is all one word, just split over two lines. By bringing the two lines of type together, it has brought the 'l' and 'o' together - as the 'l' has a rounded top it sits well against the 'o'. 

I think by creating this logo type it fits the bespoke feel, as this is taking an existing typeface and creating a bespoke logo from it. 

Vertical Logo
The final logo to create was a vertical version, as the two logos above may not fit the format of all the products, it's always good to have a vertical version which will fit on any format and size of a product. 


For this I just had to alter the spacing within the letterforms to make it all sit together well and line up better. 

Other Variations - Experimentation of Logo Possibilities. 
 To get the logos that I have above, I went through some different ideas and variations before deciding on using these as the final logos. 

Initially I was experimenting through the idea of basing the logo's on the use of a solid or outlined circle and working type into the logo alongside this. I didn't feel that this was really working that well and that was when I decided to adapt the existing Typographic Circle logo and create a type based one along with that. 








No comments:

Post a Comment