Wednesday 11 December 2013

Brief 6 // Life with Energy // Box design

The information pack is going to be presented in a box which will contain all the different products for the pack. This box is an oversized A4 format, which will fit all the different formats of the products within. To create the box and the compartments I have used corragated card to build up the space within and create the different areas for the products to sit within. Also the box was originally white and contained something else before, so I have wrapped this with brown sugar paper to firstly make it more neater and appealing, but also so it ties in with the recycled and sustainable aesthetic the products are being created around, the only problem with this now is that the box is very tight when closing and opening because of the extra thickness.

To make this more appealing and engage with the audience, I wanted to create a design which could printed onto the box, one that communicates what the product is for and what it contains. I thought about doing this after I had wrapped the box in its new skin, which at first was a bad idea, but it has now made me think of other ways in which the design can be applied to the box.

I have decided to go with using vinyl to stick to the lid of the box, this will be a green vinyl to work consistently with the logo and branding colours and also to tie in with the recycle theme. The design will communicate what the box is and present the idea of the information pack when first seen. As I am using vinyl for the design it must be fairly simple so it can be cut out easily.


This is the initial design, which I intended to cut out in the vinyl. The design makes clear what the product is and what it will do. The logo is present, along with the box contents. 





These are mock ups of what the box design will look like when applied to the box itself. The bright green will inject some colour to the packaging and the design makes it interesting to look at, instead of it just having a logo or something on it. 


When I came to cut the design into the vinyl, I was advised that the logo and box contents information was too small and that I wouldn't be able to peal it off once it had been cut. So i had to adapt the design slightly to make it work for the process. I decided to get rid of the box contents, as this couldn't be any bigger and it isn't that necessary, the logo I have moved to the back panel which folds down the side of the box, this can be enlarged so it can be cut out. This has simplified the design, which I wasn't too happy with when I had to do it, but once it had been printed and applied to the box, I was really happy with the result, the simplified version works better in my opinion. 



As you can see above the front of box works really well with the contrast of the bright green against the brown sugar paper. With the thick green area at the top of the design, this focusses the design down the the type. The simple design makes it more attractive in my opinion and fits better with the products. With the logo on the back this is much larger and clearer to see, putting on the side of the box means the attention is on the title, but the branding is still there and present. 


No comments:

Post a Comment