Tuesday 12 November 2013

Brief 4 // A very Alternative Christmas // Design Development

Using the images i collected of the Nakatomi Plaza, i started to draw out a rough outline of the building. In doing this i simplified down the building to get the main shape, making a bold building to stand out within the design


Tracing over the image gave me a starting off point for the illustration. From this I can manipulate the drawing to make it more simple and bold. I think this is key as the design is going to be riso printed. 

From taking the initial illustration, using a red background set out the colour of the illustration, I would work with white lines over the top to create the illustration. I have simplified down the illustration and made it into the building. The use of the horizontal lines is to define the windows and floors within the building. 

I didnt like the use of all the lines within the building, I think it makes it too busy and goes against defining the windows. To try and rectify this, I experimented with using block shapes to make the windows instead, again i don't think this worked either. 

To try and make this further defined and a more simple design, I created a thicker outlined building and again tried using the block shapes for the windows. I still don't like the aesthetic of this and find the block shapes are too much for the building and make it unbalanced. 


I decided to go back to the idea of using the lines within the building. This time i haven't used a solid line throughout, only having the lines part way along the building, defines the floors and windows, but doesn't overtake the style and feel of the building. Changing the bottom of the building to make it look as though its coming out of the page makes the building stand out more again and adds to the dimension of the building. 



Finally adding the explosion and the man jumping off the top of the building finishes off the illustration. By adding the bottom border on the block background, it adds to the ground space and balances out the illustration. Also changing the red to the specified red on the brief. 

This illustration isn't that christmassy, but it answers the brief and I think works along the lines of the 
'a very alternative christmas'.

No comments:

Post a Comment