Sunday 2 March 2014

Brief 12 // 21st Whisky // Naming the product

Before starting on designing the product labels and packaging, I needed to look at the branding of the company. The first port of call was looking at naming the product, I needed this to be able to start work on the brand and creating the company logo before any other designing can take place.

I sat down and with a pen and paper, I started to write down words which I could relate to whisky and the idea of the concept - the making process of whisky. Using an online dictionary and thesaurus, I could find more words which could be used for the naming of the product.



After much brainstorming, I came up with three hopefuls for the name, in order to choose which one to use, I googled all three of the words to see if any related products / brands already existed with any of the words as their brand name.

Names:
- Moonshine
- Draff
- Hooch

Moonshine was already an existing whisky product, so that was taken our straight away. Hooch wasn't taken as a name, but there is a beer names hooch, it was spelt with a 't' though - Hootch. Either way I didnt really want to use this name as it is very similar.

This left me with Draff, which was taken as any sort of name and I did like the sound of it. To me is has a german background to it, which could be interesting to research further into to find out more about the word.

DRAFF
Dräff is a term taken from the making process of whisky. It is the term given to the residue of husks which is left after the fermentation of the grains.

The word Dräff comes from the German and English language. Originally the German word was Träber and English word was drivel. The two have been mixed together to create ‘Dräff’, which is now a industry recognised term within the whisky making process.

No comments:

Post a Comment