Tuesday 4 March 2014

Brief 12 // 21st Whisky // Label Type

From building up certain elements of the label separately, through creating smaller illustrations, I have started to look at the main type and what you could call a logo for the label. This also lead me to think about the format of the label.

These were all just initial ideas as I wanted to get an initial idea drawn out before creating the final labels.

From working off the design sheets and rough drawings that I did for this type of the label, I started to digitalise the best ideas from them.




This first idea looks at how the different elements of the type work together within a hierarchy to create the type for the label. This is quite simple but I want it to be that way because of the rest of the information going onto the label. 

Working with that format, I looked at bringing more elements into the label that relate to the range of products. For this I have created illustrations that represent each of the products - single malt, blended malt and cask malt. Each colour of the label is used within the illustration, but on here I don't think that the different colours of the illustrations work on this label.

Again changing the idea of the illustrations, putting them within a square box with the colour of the label, this keeps it more inline with the each individual label. 



After looking at both of the ideas, I decided that the labels worked better without any of the illustrations. Even though this is a simpler design, it is very formatted and fits together nicely. These labels show the colours of the each of the labels and show how it will come through into the designs. 

Moving on a little bit from the label, I tried to change the idea a little, but still keep it within the idea that I set out. I felt that the label above was too straight and linear and kind of fit together too well to make the design a little standard. With this label I tried to break away from the linear style and used the 'draff' in a arched format, this makes it a little more interesting. But also at the same time, introducing the bottom section within the rounded rectangle relates back to the shape of the whisky label. This will hold the other information, but on a whole I don't feel that the label as a whole works well together. 

I really liked the idea of having 'draff' in the arched format, I think this breaks up the label and makes it more interesting. But then working with the initial type on the label, bringing them together creates this label above. This label I feel works much better as a whole, the arched heading, gives an interesting aesthetic, with it set off against the linear smaller type of the label. I think this is the best option for the label and should work well with the whole label design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment